Sunday, October 18, 2009

Chelsea Physic Garden

This place was amazing. It's London's oldest Botanical Garden and was founded in 1673. It's a small little area behind a high brick wall very close to the Thames, and if I hadn't known what I was looking for, I most likely would've walked by without noticing it. Apparently, most Londoners have no idea that it exists, which is a shame.

At first, I wasn't too impressed as it looks very small but it's quite quaint and by the time I knew it, I had spent 2.5 hours here listening to the audio tour while walking around and marveling at the insane amount of plant species. My favorite part of the day was watching a huge bumblebee look for pollen in a strange blue flower.

It's funny, the birds here either sound terrifying and scary (the seagulls) or have beautiful songs (many of the birds in the Garden). There were a few little ponds and the one in the picture is one of the first to greet you in the middle of the Garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment